According to Ayurveda therapeutic science, a decrease or increase in the normal working of thyroid gland results in the ailments of hypothyroidism and hyperthyroidism respectively, mainly arise from Dosha imbalance. There is by and large vitiation in the Kapha dosha and Pitta dosha (phlegm and fire body humors). Ayurveda thyroid disease is affected by diet and lifestyle discrepancies which further lead to dosha imbalance.
Thyroid is a small gland that is located near the base of your throat that regulates the thyroid hormones. Principally, thyroid helps in regulating body metabolism. When the thyroid gland does not work properly, our body either does not produce adequate hormones or on the contrary, the thyroid gland may be overactive and is producing the hormones in excess.
Sometimes a person may be affected by hypothyroidism, which is an under-productive thyroid condition. The symptoms include fatigue, loss of vitality, overweight with swollen body and overall hormonal imbalance.
Whereas, hyperthyroidism is a condition in which the thyroid is overactive and is producing hormones in excess. This has symptoms like anxiety, rapid heart rate, deep shallow respiration, diarrhea, heat intolerance, flushing, menstrual disturbance, fatigue and bulging of eyes.
Ayurveda therapy for thyroid disease is a holistic and supportive Indian therapy that helps in correcting the erroneous working of the thyroid gland. Therapy includes the recommendation of herbal medicines for thyroid and proper guidance of dosha balance along with diet and lifestyle recommendations.
Medicines include Kanchanar Guggulu, Punarnava mandoor, Ashwagandharishta, Amritadhaya taila and Mahayogaraj guggulu. These medicines for thyroid need to be taken under the supervision and recommendation of the physician or Vaidya. Also, as these thyroid medicines help in regulating metabolism as well as detoxifying the body, you may need to increase your water intake and include a bland diet along with taking medicines meant for thyroid balancing.
Thyroid Curative Herbs
There are plenty of herbs that are a natural aid in the regulating the thyroid hormone and restoring the natural functionality of thyroid. Some Ayurveda thyroid curative herbs are Kanchanara, Jatamansi, Shilajita, Ashwagandha, Brahmi Guggulu, Punarnava, etc.
Thyroid Curative Home Remedies
Sometimes you could gain faster and more positive results in curing thyroid ailment with the virtue of Ayurveda therapy when you take thyroid curative home remedies religiously.
- As a thyroid home remedy, you might try this. Make a decoction with
coarsely pounded bark of the Kachnaar tree. This is to be taken twice a day in the dosage of approximately one ounce.
- As another home remedy for recuperating thyroid, you make a small cup of spinach juice with one teaspoon of honey added in it. You may add half a teaspoon roasted cumin seed powder and one fourth teaspoon black pepper. This potion may be taken once or twice a day.
- Another remedy is to make a paste by pounding the herb of Jalakumbhi. This may be applied on the swelling in the neck area.
- Approx. two teaspoons of coriander seeds are to be soaked in water and kept overnight. In the morning, this is to be boiled and made into decoction. Take this warm on an empty stomach early in the morning.
- Gargling with warm saline water or alum mixed in water are also doable thyroid home remedies for thyroid improving.
- Many times hormonal imbalance as in thyroid disease is associated with
constipating bowels which make the cure rather tricky. For this, Triphala
herb powder which is made up of three Ayurveda herbs Aamla, Harad and Baheda may be taken twice daily in the dosage of three to six grams along with warm water.
Thyroid Diet and Lifestyle Guidance
- Adequate quantities of milk, cold rice, barley, green grams, Bengalgrams, sugarcane juice, cucumber and other milk products may be taken.
- Also as per thyroid diet guidance, you need to eat lots of raw fruits and vegetables, sprouts etc. Also, you need to restrict more of salt and sour tastes in your diet.
- Ayurveda thyroid lifestyle guidance also confers due significance to Yoga poses and deep breathing techniques. Yoga asanas like Yogamudra asana, Yoganidra, Halasana, Matasyasasna and Suptavajra asana are recommended. Also, the Pranayaam techniques of Jalandhar bhanda and Ujjayi Pranayaam need to be practiced regularly.
- Keep away from mental stress and strain. Having sound sleep at night for about seven to eight hours would be of good help in addition to Ayurveda therapy for thyroid.
About the Author
Dr. Sonica Krishan is an Author, Freelance Health Writer, Editor, Ayurveda Consultant at Herboveda and Holistic Healing Coach based at Chandigarh, India. She has Bachelors in Ayurvedic Medicine and Surgery and also an Advance Diploma in Naturopathy and Yoga. She has authored three natural home cure books: Herbal Healers, Home Remedies, and Healing through Ayurveda. You may contact her at email@example.com or visit her website http://www.herboveda.co.in.
Note – Information presented in this article is solely for the purpose of imparting education on Ayurveda and is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or mitigate any disease. If you have a medical condition, please consult a qualified health professional.